Today was a funny day. I woke up and there wasn't enough coffee, so I decided to go out buy a couple pounds and then spend the rest of the day relaxing and drinking delicious I Deal coffee. Instead I went out out, bought coffee, went to Michaels to buy supplies for the Xmas gifts I'm attempting to make for my nieces, and then I grabbed a bite to eat at "Bagel World".
It was my first time at "Bagel World" (the Wilson Ave location) and it had its charm, including having to wave down service and charing our table (when I say our, I mean my BF Madge and I) with a lovely older gentleman. When we finally did get our waitress over (they were quite busy in there) she only took our order and left the poor man to wait even longer.
Finally of course, we got our order in, as did he and food was on the table. About half way through my meal (lox and bagel on a plate with tomato, lettuce, cucumber and the biggest white onion wheel) The gent asked me if I was planning on eating my onion! I of course was not planning on it, and he asked if I would mind if he ate it. I don't know about all you folks, but I love this sort of thing. I gladly let him take it of my plate and what happened from there still has me smiling.
He told me he was famous. He introduced himself as Leo Spellman (http://www.ushmm.org/museum/exhibit/focus/pianist/spellman/)
and how he had survived the holocaust. That he had been shot twice and played dead to survive. That he still drives his 16 year old Cadillac and plays the piano every single day on his grand piano in the home he's lived in since 1958. He plays everyday for a picture of his wife of 68 years who passed on about 5 years ago. He said it is the music that keeps him alive. Needless to say I am inspired by this 98 year old gentleman.
I get to go over to Leo's house on friday and he said he would play for me, since he hasn't played professionally in 6 years and he does it everyday anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment